Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Bus Incidents 2 - the peaceful way works

Not only do I have to tell people to pick litter up but also to take their feet off seats on buses...

Yesterday, got on the bus, two Bengali youths (baggy jeans, hair with cuts, hoodies etc) - asked one of them to take his feet of the seats - he says 'Why?'...
An older Bengali woman says to me "Just leave them alone"
I say "Why? Do you not think he should take his feet off the seats?"
She says: "I dont have an opinion, I'm just advising you..."
I try and read and let it go but...
"Sorry, but why can't I speak to them?"
"Because this is the inner city and you dont know if they have knives etc"
"I could handle these two! But I take your point and thank you"
I wait till she has got off the bus and turn to my friend with feet on the seats: "You two wouldnt try and stab me for asking you to take your feet off the seats would you?"
"No"
"Coz thats what she was saying - that you were so ignorant that that is what you might do"
Anyway, start usual argument about whether he would put his feet on the seats in his mothers house (of course, he wouldn't, they take their shoes off in the house! Smartass Muslims!). Then he admits he would if his Mum wasnt there and I'm telling him if his mum caught him she'd give him a beating and blah blah blah.
Didn't get anywhere reasoning with him but made him laugh and patronised him ("You'll understand when you're older").
Was thinking I had not gained any victory until they got off at Chrisp St, and the other guy (who hadn't said a word) turned to me quietly and said:
"Sorry about him mate, he was being a twat."
Then a Nigerian woman turns to me and says: "Thank God for people like you"
Suppress the urge to say "God didnt have fuck all to do with it..." and thank her.
Satisfaction - dharma restored!

7 comments:

Poxinfinite said...

Bravo! Patience... what you said will stick with him, because you made him receptive to your words. No ones ego wants to do something immediately... so you gave him an opportunity to change his mind. I bet you he doesn't do it as often, and he thinks about it before he does it. Anyhow, I put my feet up on the seats too, but even I hear your damn voice complaining every time I do and I don't do it as often. You won't catch me admiting that often... see, ego, work with it.

igotlife said...

very magnanimous of you! impressed

Chairmanofthebored said...

missed this post but really like it and feel this could be a positive moevement that could infect others. i'm sure you inspired a few conversations that day. I guess the danger is the issue of the knives and that some people don't value life in the same way.

I too put my feet on seats but mainly when I'm on my own so no one can point out to me how wrong it is. I also have to admit that this will make me supress my urge next time - i'll let you know how I get on...doogooder knob jockey!

iamjack'simpotentrage said...

Do you wear a cape?!

igotlife said...

No, but I'm considering a beret and a 'Guardian Angel' t-shirt!

iamjack'simpotentrage said...

Sorry, I had to say something rude, everyone was being so complimentary I had to readress the balance!

Anonymous said...

Hey there! I simply would like to give you a huge thumbs up for your excellent information
you have right here on this post. I'll be coming back to your website for more soon.

My web site - graduate certificate programs